At Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience, our commitment to sustainability issues is maintained through our daily practices:
- Efficiency Programs: We adhere to programs that save resources as a means to achieve our goal of lowering our impact on the environment.
- Community Participation: Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience will promote in every possible way the inclusion of the community and the services it offers.
Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience is dedicated to the protection of our planet. Having recognized the dangers presented to our planet today, we have become more conscientious and active in our efforts to reduce our impact by implementing measures for the health and benefit of Mother Earth.
- Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience carefully observes the environmental impact generated by its operations today and in the future, by taking the appropriate steps to reduce the usage of natural resources and thereby diminishing the negative impact caused by our operations, our employees, and our guests.
- Waste Management: trying to reduce the quantity of waste produced by the hotel, we utilize products which are biodegradable, returnable, reusable, and recycled or recyclable wherever possible.
- Proper Energy Usage: in our installations, Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience is dedicated to the reduction of electricity consumption and to the incorporation of all available technology to limit and avoid unnecessary consumption.
- Water Consumption and Management: Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience encourages the economizing of water and has invested in water saving technologies wherever possible.
- Transportation: Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience supervises the emissions of each of its vehicles, and seeks to use vehicles of electric or hybrid technology for internal transportation.
- Protection of National Heritage: Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience is resolved to the reduction of the impact caused by its guests in areas of wildlife, or others, preventing the shock on plant and animal species and respecting the delicate nature of these ecosystems, in addition to protecting the values and culture of the Northern Zone of our country. Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience also supports the initiatives of conservation and development of the region. For these reasons, we are committed to educating our guests so that they may do their part to support these causes.
On our Sustainability Programs
Leave Your Mark
One of the most important programs that we have instituted is our reforestation program called, “LEAVE YOUR MARK ON COSTA RICA”. This unique project in the Arenal Volcano Area was initiated by Mr. Asdrubal Castro Miranda, local businessman and owner of Hotel San Bosco Inn and Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience.
Mr. Castro has been tireless in his efforts to plant and maintain beautiful gardens throughout the La Fortuna area, but also has planted more than 3000 trees (and counting) in the region.
In a bid to increase those efforts, we have implemented the Leave Your Mark program, which shares the experience of reforestation with our guests by inviting them to take action in the protection of our planet and plant a tree, thus leaving their mark on Costa Rica in a positive and valuable manner.
Recycling Program with Single Women of Z13
The Association of Single Women of Z13 is headed up by Ms. Luisa Varela and Ms. Isabel Gutierrez, who have taken the courageous decision to clean up their community and surroundings by collecting and separating recyclable waste products in the La Fortuna area. This difficult labor is the product of courage and dedication, intending to contribute to the control of the alarming population increase in our community, at the same time, contributing to low income families and the local orphanage and safe house, put in place to educate and protect abandoned children.
Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience, as a consequence of its firm dedication to the social well being and its sustainable philosophy, fully supports this initiative.
On our property, you will find waste receptors thoroughly identified for each type of waste disposal (glass, plastic, aluminum, organic). These waste products are then separated and packed to be given to the single women of this project to begin the recycling process.
Bun-ca Energy Efficiency Program
Bun-ca is a non-governmental organization dedicated to promote the efficient usage of natural resources in order to generate sustainable energy, and thereby conserve the environment. This program consists in educating business owners and their employees, to create awareness and identify areas of possible savings. The program, which is funded by international organizations and foundations like Hivos, UNESCO, and the Holland Board of Tourism, includes classes and personalized follow ups in each case.
Commitment to the Earth Charter
The Earth Charter is a declaration of fundamental ethical principles for building a just, sustainable and peaceful global society in the 21st century. It seeks to inspire in all people a new sense of global interdependence and shared responsibility for the well-being of the whole human family, the greater community of life, and future generations. It is a vision of hope and a call to action.
You can also help support the Earth Charter HERE!
Commitment to the Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct for the Protection of Children from Sexual Exploitation in Travel and Tourism (the Code) is an industry-driven multi-stakeholder initiative which seeks to increase protection of children from sex tourism. The companies - tour operators and their umbrella organizations, hotels, travel agents, airlines, etc. - which endorse the Code, commit themselves to implement the following measures:
1. To establish an ethical policy regarding commercial sexual exploitation of children.
2. To train the personnel in the country of origin and travel destinations.
3. To introduce a clause in contracts with suppliers, stating a common repudiation of commercial sexual exploitation of children.
4. To provide information to travellers by means of catalogues, brochures, in-flight films, ticket-slips, home pages, etc.
5. To provide information to local "key persons" at the destinations, to report annually.
The Code is acknowledged by UNICEF and the World Tourism Organization as the primary international tool for the prevention and combating of child sex tourism by the travel and tourism, and Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience is one of hotels around the world, that are committed to stop the sexual tourism.
Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience is dedicated to the principles of honesty, social values, transparency, dedication, and responsibility, which are fundamental in every service we offer. In regards to environmental conscientious and responsibility, Volcano Lodge, Hotel & Thermal Experience objective is to diminish the impact of our operation on the environment, and we are dedicated to increase our efforts to conserve and to contribute with better environmental and social indicators of the region, so that this is transmitted throughout the region and the world.